Sunday, May 22, 2011

Tai Pan Yum Cha, Doncaster

With the weeks heading up to major study buddy days filled with coffee, caffeine and unimpressive take-away food, we decided to treat ourselves to a final proper meal of dim sum, or should I say, yum cha. As usual, thanks to Phil and Ryan, our designated drivers. Tai Pan is all the way in Doncaster which is almost about half an hour drive from the city.


Thank goodness, we made reservations instead of counting on simply walking in. The place was packed to brim on a lazy Sunday noon! There were people lining up to get in to the restaurant! One thing to note is that don't expect fabulous service here. Tai Pan is always busy and buzzing with energy and rushed orders that you may have to try several times to get their waiter's attention.


The seven of us started off with egg tarts which were piping hot! The egg tarts were transferred from a baking tray on to the dish which gave me the impression that they were fresh from the oven.


The crust of the egg tart was very flaky and fragrant with a smooth sweet egg custard. Absolutely divine. Every single one of us asked for more to take away. More on this later...



Scallion pancake/ chee cheong fun. Yummy! It was very different from what I was used to at home. The dough was stickier and softer: almost appears to be a firmer chee cheong fun. Served with a yummy peanut sauce. This was my favourite fried dish of the day.



The Ha Gao. They are way bigger than I was used to. I wasn't impressed with this. They were slightly bland and dry.


We are monsters! We took away sixteen egg tarts. Yums. I haven't eaten them yet, they're still sitting on my kitchen counter. Should I? *evil look*



Tau Fu Fa which literally translates to silkened beancurd! The presentation wasn't very appealing (I blame on the almost frantic way the waitress was scooping out the beancurd) but it was really yummy! For Melbourne standards, Tai Pan's Tau Fu Fa would have been on the top of my list.


Lau Sah Pao: salted egg custard buns! I was never a fan of dim sum but if I'm there, I will always look forward for these buns. Why?


This is why. Ooozing warm yummy eggy custardy. After consuming this, I proudly proclaimed I'm done. I can just spend the rest of the day starving and rolling around unproductively in bed because my day is complete. <3

Tai Pan on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment