Sunday, May 15, 2011

A Start To Something New

So, I'm a bit tired of posting pictures of my baking adventures on my personal blog so I decided to create a brand new one to be my foodie outlet: random pictures of where I've eaten, what I've baked or cooked (haha fyi, I can't cook for nuts). 


Yesterday evening, I decided to make Snickerdoodle muffins! I love the name, snickerdoodle... snickeringdoodling. Anyway, just a little background knowledge about myself, I love baking cupcakes, muffins, brownies, bars and cakes but my least favourite are cookies. It's hard to explain, but I don't get the satisfaction out of seeing cookies out of the oven. With cakes and the rest, my heart goes pitterpat when I see them all perfect and yummy. :)



Plus, it's so hard to control my portions with cookies. It's so easy to pop one, or two... or a dozen into your tummy without even noticing. That's happy for my tummy and bad for my belly. 

Snickerdoodle Muffins 
adapted and amended from Culinary Concoctions by Peabody
serves 12 muffins

3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened at room temperature
1 cup sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 eggs, room temperature
¾ tsp baking soda
¾ tsp baking powder
¾ tsp cream of tarter
1 cup sour cream
2 and ¼ cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup sugar and 2 tbsp cinnamon mixed together for rolling

1.Cream the butter and sugar until soft about 3 to 5 minutes. Add in the vanilla. Add in the eggs one at a time and mix until each is incorporated.

2.In a separate, mix together the flour, baking soda, and baking powder and cream of tarter.

3.Add the flour mixture and the sour cream alternately to the egg-butter mixture in the additions. Start with the flour and end with the flour. Scrape the bowl occasionally.

4. Using an ice cream scoop, scoop out  muffin batter one at a time and drop into a shallow bowl filled with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Roll the muffin around in the mixture until it is covered completely in cinnamon sugar.

5. Place muffin into a greased muffin tin. Depending on the size of your tins, you should get about 12 to 14 muffins. Bake them for approx. 20-25 minutes in a 350F (180C) oven or until they are golden and crusty on the top and baked through. 

Variations:
  • I've reduced the amount of sugar added to the muffins to 3/4 cup since I was going to roll the batter in sugar in Step 4. 
  • Please use muffin/cupcake liners! These muffins are really moist and lightweight that it would be difficult to remove them from the muffin pan on its own. 
  • If your kitchen is horribly inadequate (like mine), use a 1/4 cup measuring spoon to scoop the batter.

The texture of the muffins were soft as cotton and so moist! The crust of the muffin reminded me of a creme brulee crust. Yummy!

The lone muffin.
And then, there was light.
Eat them warm, pretty please! Perfect for breakfast, a snack or dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment