Thursday, May 19, 2011

The Point Restaurant, Albert Park


It's YH's twenty first birthday on May 7th, and she celebrated with an intimate dinner at The Point Restaurant on Albert Park. I've never heard of The Point in my whole three + years in Melbourne. It's probably due to me being a huge cheapo and the unrefined quality of my tastebuds. ;) Give me a cup of cheap froyo and I'm your best friend forever. 

The Birthday Girl!

The Point Restaurant is relatively secluded. The roads leading to the place was so dark and scary! Thank you Ryan and Phil for graciously driving us there. It is almost impossible to get there any other way; such as tramming, walking, or any form of public transport, so fuel up your tanks! 


Butter and creme fraiche with black truffle to go with our dinner rolls and bread sticks. The creme fraiche was beyond words!



Compliments from the chef! I'm terribly sorry that I couldn't remember what it was but I knew it had something to do with raw beef. Everyone else scarfed it down except me since I have a strict no raw beef/meat policy (except when it comes to fresh seafood!).

Freshly shucked Coffin Bay oysters. I'm an oysters kind of girl. They gave six huge oysters which felt more like a main then an appetizer! Deliciously fresh.

Jerusalem artichoke veloute, quail egg and Wagyu bresaola.

Poached egg, soft polenta, black truffle and brioche crumbs. Apparently this was really good! I didn't order this since I also have a thing against watery egg yolks. Sigh, I'm missing out on all the good things in life, aren't I?

The Point charcuterie board. YH had this for her appetizer and I'm sad to say that I had to physically restrain myself from picking food off the birthday girl's plate! The pâté was breath-taking! Bread was ordered and it was delicious just spreading it on the bread and chomping it down. It is worth ordering the whole board just for the pâté.

Scotch fillet, field mushrooms, creamed potato and baby carrots.

All of us ordered the same dish! We were very excited about the steaks as The Point Restaurant proudly claimed to have the best steak in Melbourne. Al wanted his steak rare (he's such a carnivore) but sadly the steaks only came in medium rare, medium and medium well.

I had my steak medium well and it was deliciously tender and juicy. I loved how there were some additional marble on top of the steak to make the meat more fragrant and mouth-watering. The vegetables were cooked to perfection and the creamed potato was very yummy with a hint of a smoky flavor. If I had a bone to pick this dish, it would be the field mushroom paste. I felt that it did not compliment the steak at all and would personally just prefer an ordinary mushroom sauce. 

I wouldn't call this the best steak I had because that throne has been claimed by Prime, Le Meridien Kuala Lumpur but this dish fared well.


Spiced gingerbread pudding, warm quince, caramel ice-cream and thyme. I loved this! The gingerbread pudding was so warm and moist and went so well with the fruits and the ice cream! I've never heard of quince before and for my first time trying the fruit, it was delicious. However, I wasn't so sure whether the sweetness of the quince was from it's natural flavor or added sugar. Highly recommended! 

Overall, it was a delicious night filled with great food and even greater company. The ambience of the place was really fantastic- perfect for those special date nights. I wish I could visit The Point during the day because I think the view overlooking the lake would be gorgeous. :)


The Point Restaurant on Urbanspoon

No comments:

Post a Comment